Cedar Sinai Park was founded in 1920 as the Jewish Old People’s Home in downtown Portland, then the center of Portland’s Jewish community. In 1955, as downtown faced urban renewal and the community dispersed, the organization moved to its present location in southwest Portland and became the Robison Jewish Home. The Robison Jewish Home earned a sterling reputation for long term care and a strong presence in the city’s Jewish community. As we have grown over the years, we have added new services to our family and began working under the business name of Cedar Sinai Park.
1920: Original Home
The home was founded in early 1920 by the Old Men’s Hebrew Fraternal Association. The original 16-room home was located on Third Avenue and College Street, Portland’s Jewish neighborhood known as “Old South Portland.” The very early residents of this home were a few elderly men. The general upkeep and supportive services were provided by the Women’s Auxiliary, later to become the Home’s Sisterhood.
1937: New Nonprofit Status
The Home is officially established as a nonprofit, tax exempt organization under the Revenue Act of 1936.
1938: Name Change
The name of the original home in Old South Portland is officially changed from the Old Men’s Hebrew Fraternal Association to the Jewish Old People’s Home.
1945: Another Name Change
The original home undergoes a name change. It is now known as the Jewish Home for the Aged.
1954: Ground Breaks for New Home
In the 1950s the community’s needs were stretching beyond the capabilities of the old 16-room home. In 1952, a fund drive began for a new building in what was then the distant, but developing suburbs of Southwest Portland. The initial push was helped significantly by a $53,000 donation by brothers Charles Robison and Edward Robison. The contribution was made in honor of their mother, Hannah Robison, a pillar of the South Portland community and long-time member of the Home’s Sisterhood. In 1954, the Board of Trustees purchased seven acres on SW Boundary Street and on September 15th of that year, ground was broken.
1955: Sisterhood Moves Residents into New Home
Members of the Sisterhood moved the first of 15 residents, ranging in age from 77 – 107, into the new Robison Jewish Home for the Aged.
1981: May Terrace Apartments Open
The May Terrace Apartments open. Newly opened, the May offers 20 independent retirement living apartments for seniors. These independent living apartments provide seniors with smaller, more manageable living space and the convenience of a community of friends and neighbors just around the corner.
1996: Campus Named Cedar Sinai Park
1998: Rose Schnitzer Manor Opens
After a successful capital campaign, the Rose Schnitzer Manor assisted living facility opens its doors to offer 110 private apartments.
1999: Adult Day Services Opens
Adult Day Services opens to offer family caregivers convenient, flexible respite along with the comfort of knowing their loved one will be spending the day in a stimulating and nurturing environment.
2002: Shlim Wing Completed
Shlim Wing is added to Rose Schnitzer Manor and completes the constructions of the Manor.
2007: Sinai Family Home Services Launches
Sinai Family Home Services, a joint venture between Cedar Sinai Park and Jewish Family and Child Service, opens. Sinai Family Home Services provides compassionate, consistent in-home care around the clock, seven days a week. Three levels of care are available to meet elders’ individual care needs.
2007: Rose Schnitzer Tower Joins the Cedar Sinai Park Family
2012: Three Buildings Added to Affordable Housing Portfolio
The purchase of The 1200 Building, Park Tower, and Lexington Apartments expands the portfolio of affordable housing services.
2013: Kehillah Opened on CSP Campus
CSP, with close cooperation with JFCS, developed and opened Kehillah, a 14 unit subsidized housing for adults with developmental disabilities. It has been 100% occupied since opening. A supportive community of family and friends has developed around it. Kehillah is now an integral part of the CSP campus.
2015: CSP Breaks Ground on new Harold Schnitzer Health & Rehabilitation Care Center!